Thursday, June 6, 2013

Refusing Care

There was a time where I thought people who refused medical care were crazy. Well, maybe not completely crazy, but I thought it was rare. But, the more I am exposed to hospital care on the patient side, the more I understand...

I just basically told a nurse I am refusing a test for Harper. I've threatened to refuse treatment before, when the nursing staff was waking Harper up at all hours of the night, but what they were doing, though timed poorly and without regard to the patient experience, was at least explainable.

This time, the nurse stopped me as I walked to the nutrition room to tell me the nurse practitioner ordered a GFR test, and they were going to do it tomorrow morning. At first it didn't strike me, but as I thought about it, it didn't make sense.

Earlier in the day, before the rash, they were perfectly willing/able to give her her chemo without having an updated GFR (she had one the last time we were in). Now, for some reason, she needs this test? Sorry, not buying that one at face value. If it was needed before the next dose of chemo, as it was attempted to be explained to me, then why could we do it outpatient without the test?

I also have a general problem with tests/procedures/etc being ordered without consulting us. If there is something that needs done, then there should be a way to explain it. I will likely understand whatever it is. And honestly, before I am or my insurance is going to pay for something, I want to understand why we're doing it. I don't care what the "routine" is.

If you're caring for us, don't go ordering tests, medications or anything without giving us a heads-up, or I could go tell you to stuff it. Or scan you're own whatever. If you think we need something, lets have a conversation.

Otherwise, when transport comes to pick her up, we'll be refusing care.









No comments:

Post a Comment