Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Guido

Throughout our journey with Harper, we have tried, where we can, to keep life as "normal" as possible.  I know I've talked about normal before, and how it has changed, multiple times, as we have gone along.

While I'm at work I try to detach, momentarily, from Harper's situation.  It helps me to take a breather from the stress, even if it is to just focus on different stress. (If it wasn't stressful, why would they pay me to do it, right?)

Today, on a walk down the street between meetings I took a detour to the Belvedere - a plaza area above I-64.  I wanted to take a look at the river, maybe take a picture or two, and generate some additional steps for a step competition (100 Day Dash) that Humana is doing for employees.  I figured I'd be up and back in a few minutes, and I would move on with my day.

When I reached the farthest point, by the Clark Statue, I heard someone calling out.  I looked over, and a I saw a homeless man laying prone on the ground next to some benches.  He was motioning me over.

I considered it briefly, thinking perhaps I should just keep walking.  None of my business.  But, for some reason, I didn't.  Instead I walked over to him, and bent down to talk to him.

I don't recall everything about his appearance, but his hair was long and black with strings of grey  He was caucasian, but his skin was quite dark and leathery - like he'd spent a lot of time in the sun.  Across his knuckles were tattooed the words "FUCK YOU."

He first asked me if I had a light.  No, I replied.  No lighter.  He then told me that he couldn't get up.  His worn jeans were riding up his legs in the position he was laying, and I could see his legs were skinny.  He said he'd just gotten out of the hospital (I could see a white hospital ID bracelet on his right arm) but they had done nothing for him.

I asked him if there was anything I could do for him, expecting him to ask for cigarettes, or money.  Instead he asked if I could get him a cold drink.  Yes, I admit my mind went to him asking me to get him beer, but when asked what he preferred, he asked for a Monster Energey drink.

I was surprised, and so I agreed to get him an energy drink.  Despite needing to get back to the office, I instead walked back down to Main Street and went down to the lower level in the PNC tower.  There is a small store down there and a cafeteria called "Cravings." 

First I went into Cravings and ordered a sausage, egg and cheese breakfast sandwich.  While walking I had thought that perhaps he could use more than just a cold drink, so I had decided to get him something to eat too, even though he hadn't asked. I picked up his energy drink and then headed back.

When I returned, he was in the same exact position.  He accepted the food and drink and thanked me.  I took the opportunity to ask him a few questions.

He told me that the hospital had told him he has a brain tumor, liver issues, and kidney stones.  They had given him prescriptions for medicine, but he can't afford it.  A "friend" had brought him up to where he is, but he doesn't know where he went.  Someone had given him a wheelchair at one point, but someone took it.  He mentioned he'd lived a hard life, and that he didn't think he would make it much longer.

I asked if there is anything else I could do to help.  I offerred to help him up on one of the benches, and he initially agreed, but then after a moment of trying to push up on his hands, he said he should just stay where he was.

I didn't know what else to do, so I asked him if he would still be in the same place tomorrow.  He said he didn't know.  So I committed that I would try to come back tomorrow and check on him.  If his friend came back and he was gone, that was ok, but I would try to check on him.

Finally, I asked him his name.  He said people call him Guido.  I told him people call me Brian.

I walked away with mixed feelings.  Sure, I'd done something nice, but had I done everything I could? 

Sometimes I get so caught up in my own life, which has its fair share of challenges, that I don't see others around me.  Sometimes I can get so focused on what I need that I can't focus on what others obviously need.

Today was a wake up call.  I am one hell of a lucky guy.  I have a beautiful family, a good job, live in a nice home with incredible neighbors.  We have nice things and want for very little.  Guido's life is very different.

I have no idea what tomorrow will bring.  If Guido will be there, or what I will be able to do for him then.  But I have to admit that my initial interaction with him made me think about how lucky I am, and how its not that hard to do something to help.

1 comment:

  1. God works in mysterious ways. He was working in your life. :-)

    ReplyDelete