Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Cool Travels for a Geocoin

I've previously posted about geocaching.  If you've never heard of it, look at my previous post, or watch the video here.

To demonstrate something cool about geocaching, here is the path that a Geocoin (with a unique code on it that geocachers pick up from caches and later leave in other caches) Melissa and I dropped in Dallas TX has taken since it's initial placement in early October of this year:

Yep, not only has our geocoin gone from Dallas to Alaska, but it took a trip through Hong Kong to get there.  Having never been to Hong Kong myself, I think this is pretty cool.

The goal of this particular coin is to make it to Hawaii.  Interestingly enough, it appears the coin got pretty close (not sure on the flight path obviously) but didn't quite make it yet.  Some coins and other similar geocaching items (like travel bugs) take years to make it to their destination, or never make it at all.  The fact that our coin has traveled more then 13,000 miles since we dropped in 30 days ago is amazing to me.

I think I'm going to go order some more geocoins.  This could be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment