Monday, October 11, 2010

The Good and Bad of Geocaching

Alright, so I'm about 10 years behind, but we're really starting to get into geocaching.  If you're unaware of what geocaching is, here's a link to the main online website - there's a cute little video to watch and catch up.

So, now that everyone knows what I'm talking about, I want to give a few "good" things and "bad" things about geocaching, or at least my experience so far -

GOOD
  • The girls don't watch TV or a monitor while we do it.  Seems like the TV is always on, either on the living room wall, in the car, or sitting at the computer.  This activity gets us outside, and we don't have cords long enough to take the TV with us (and I don't yet have an iPad...)
  • We can do it together.  Excepting for Finley's (2 y/o) obsession with every rock and blade of grass we pass (which she must then stop and inspect) we all seem to stay focused and enjoy the hunt.  That is until we're a couple hours in...  and then even I lose interest... (Ritalin, anyone?)
  • We get to see places we would otherwise not visit.  We've been to some park areas that I didn't even know were there!
  • It gets us out of the house!

BAD
  • Insects.  Not all insects are bad, mind you, just the ones that bite and irritate the crap out of me...  Granted this is not unique to geocaching, but certainly is a hazard you have to consider.  I have some chigger bites that I think I've been scratching for weeks...
  • Poison Ivy.  Similar issue to insects...  We've have a few rounds of it since we started - I need to buy some stock in Zanfel...
  • DNF - means Did Not Find - dissapointing, especially after potentially driving somewhere specifically to find a cache.
  • It gets us out of the house - Yes, this is also a GOOD category item, but we really should spend more time CLEANING our house...


So, despite the few bads, we really seem to be enjoying it.  We've even purchased a few "trackables" to watch them move.  We've planted 3 so far (2 left in the first round), though no-one has get "grabbed" one of them.  Hopefully soon...

I'm sure as we continue I'll have some more to say on the topic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment