Thursday, October 28, 2010

Verizon vs AT&T - The iPad Debate

Alright, so I'm sold.  I want an iPad.  Historically I've not been a huge Apple fan.  But, last Christmas I got an iPod Touch, which I love.  Small screen size and being limited to WiFi availability are the downsides.  Now I think I'm ready for a larger screen and 3G access on the go.  Unfortunately, not all hotels have yet brought up their service level to even offer WiFi service, let alone offer it for free.  It's been a challenge when traveling.

I wrote about the initial Verizon/Apple announcement 2 weeks ago when it was first made on 10/14.

Now the question is, which carrier to go with.  The launch (today) of the Verizon iPad / MiFi Bundle offers an alternative to the built-in 3G AT&T model. 

Positives for the Verizon bundle -

Better 3G network with Verizon
More data package options (though low-end not as low as AT&T 250MB)
Lower cost for additional data on high-usage plans
MiFi allows access for multiple wireless devices

Negatives for Verizon bundle -

Extra "device" to carry around
Higher bottom data package (1GB)

So, it's a better network and multiple devices up against more travel weight and higher minimum data purchase.  Personally, I think I would use more than 250MB monthly in data (though I would obviously use WiFi any chance I could get it, especially when free!), but am not sure I really want to tote around another device with me, especially around town. 

So, still a toss-up in my mind.  As with most things in life, pros and cons abound.

Guess I'll just have to see which Melissa thinks is better.  Birthday coming up and all...

No comments:

Post a Comment