Wednesday, May 15, 2013

It's official

I wish I had a way to pretty this up, but I'm not sure I currently have the strength. Unfortunately, you'll have to take this raw.

Harper's tumor has been identified as a Wilms tumor. It is Stage 4 (of 5) and aggressive (metastatic).

The plan is aggressive chemo - starting with a combo of vincristine, doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide. The exact "roadmap" will be shared with us tomorrow.

Treatment could begin as early as tomorrow, after an EKG to establish her heart function baseline.

In 2 weeks, she'll likely lose her hair. The doxorubicin could damage her heart. The cyclophosphamide endangers her ability to later have children. The vincristine may cause (reversible) nerve damage.

Her long-term survival is far from guaranteed. Her pain is most certainly guaranteed.

So, knowing doesn't help us feel better, but it does move us down the path of treatment.

After 2 or 3 rounds of chemo (likely ~3 weeks each), if the tumor engulfing her kidney shrinks (the intended response) she will have her kidney (left) removed. Thankfully her other kidney (right) is apparently completely healthy.

Yes, we've cried. Yes, we will again. Yes, we're scared. Yes, we believe she can beat this.

No, we are not giving up. Stay tuned.








5 comments:

  1. When my mom was diagnosed with cancer it was heartbreaking. It's even harder to watch her go through chemo. I understand your pains and frustrations. I'm so sorry you have to go through this especially with a child. It's one thing for an adult to understand, unfortunately, the child can't quite grasp everything. Prayer requests were sent out to many people I know. Be strong. You guys are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am keeping the faith, Mama. I am keeping the faith. So much love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To help with the nerve damage in the hands you can ask if they will provide you with cold gloves. You wear these during treatment and, as a reaction to the chill, blood flow slows to the hands, less of the chemo circulates there. I work with cancer patients and some have reported this helps, though not all hospitals will provide this service

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for Harper and your entire family. You have all my hope, faith, and love. Shalom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sending prayers to Harper and the Wehnemann family.

    "My child, be attentive to my words; incline your ear to my sayings. Do not let them escape from your sight; keep them within your heart. For they are life to those who find them, and healing to all their flesh." Proverbs 4:20-22

    Alice Robinson, Humana

    ReplyDelete