Saturday, December 6, 2014

Forever

Its been over a month since I last posted here.  It does't seem like its been that long, but dates don't lie.

Harper got out of the hospital weeks earlier than expected, rebounding from the first round of high dose chemo and stem cell transplant faster than anyone would have guessed.  In fact, we were expecting her to take longer to recover than most kids.

She got to come home and be here for Thanksgiving.  When she first arrived home, her appetite was almost non-existent, but as time went on and Thanksgiving arrived her appetite staged a comeback, and she ate two cornish hens that Thursday.

We had a nice comfortable weekend which was far too short and was followed by Harper going back into the hospital. We have hopes that this combination of drugs will be less harsh than the first with as speedy a recovery as the last time.

After a couple of days of rest, Harper will get another infusion of her own stem cells, which will begin the process of rebuilding her once again decimated bone marrow.

Just a few moments ago the last drops of chemotherapy were pumped into Harper's veins.  My hope, my prayer, my dream is that those last drops are the very last drops.

We've been here before.  We've been at the end of treatment.  We've held hopes high that we were done.  And we've later found our way here again.

If we're lucky (which Harper will quickly point out she's not been very lucky so far) we're done.  If we're lucky, the chemotherapy she received today will be her last.  Not just of this treatment course, but forever.


1 comment:

  1. Hopes, prayers, whishes, dreams, all this and more is what we think about with Harper battling cancer and being the fighter she is. There are no words I know of powerful enough, to tell you how we are there for you all. I will tell you that if you need us, we would be there in a New York minute. My feelings for what Harper is going threw right now goes deeper than what I feel in my heart, it goes deep into my soul. She will beat this, and grow up and be what ever her heart desires. I truly believe.

    ReplyDelete