Saturday, June 9, 2012

A Summer Vacation Adventure

I haven't posted a blog post for quite some time. I could blame it on work... But really LIFE has gotten in the way.

In less than a week, our family will be embarking on what may prove to be an exhilarating or, alternatively, a disastrous experience. We will be hooking the camper (2011 Jayco JayFlight 2 32BHDS)


to my truck (2005 F250 Lariat CrewCab with 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel)


And hitting the great American "road." No reservations, just a directional plan. No timetable. We'll be going where the wind blows, so to speak.

While we've had the camper for a little over a year, it has spent all of its life at our family's farm, and has not, as of yet, ventured out on such an experience. Likewise, my experience pulling the beast (a little over 36 feet long including tongue, plus we'll be extending the bike rack off the back. Adding another 3 feet or so) is limited to moving it around on the farm and moving it from the dealership to the farm initially (quite an ordeal, which I may share someday).

So, the pulling of the camper itself will be an adventure. But, on top of that, we expect we will be spending hours in the truck cab (group of 5 - Melissa and I in the front, with all 3 girls in the back seat) driving. This will be our first trip of more than about 4 hours in the truck. It could be fun! (uh huh...)

But, the loose plan we do have should take us to some good spots for the girls. We're considering Niagara Falls, Hershey, PA, Chincoteague, VA, and Colonial Williamsburg, VA. In fact, we amassed that list of destinations based upon trying to include something for everyone. Cadence asked for a roller coaster (Hershey), Harper asked for a beach (Chincoteague), and Finley went back and forth copying them (she couldn't decide, apparently). Melissa has wanted to go to Colonial Williamsburg for some time, and I have been to Niagara Falls, but it has been some time, and I thought the girls would get a kick out of a ride on The Maid of the Mist (which I have never actually gotten to do).

If I can keep to it, I plan to try to log our "Adventures" here for others to share. These may include posts about enjoyable family experiences, or rants about excruciating disasters. Time will tell.

The good thing is, with no formal reservations, we can always just turn the rig around, and head home. But, we've been looking forward to this trip for some time, so I suspect we will keep to it, and enjoy it no matter what happens.

Wish us luck!

1 comment:

  1. Brian and Melissa, and girls. I am praying for good weather, lots of fun and no tantrums..
    I am looking forward to sharing your trip with all of you with grandpa....Be safe....love you...

    ReplyDelete